Monday, May 28, 2012

Of kits and kilts-USA-Scotland

I haven't updated this in a while. Maybe because I haven't taken any trips for a while.  That changed this past weekend.  I went to Jacksonville, FL to see the US national team take on Scotland.

This was an exciting prospect for my friend and I.  It was the first game in the US for some time and we expected it would be a good game, with plenty of support for both teams.  We'll get to that....

I got no sleep the night before my early flight, so I started pretty grouchy and low.  A quick touchdown in Atlanta was the only stop before I landed in Florida, where I met up with my friend from Boston (we'll just call him Tim).

We caught a bus to the stadium, but not before stopping at a Mexican restaurant.  At the bar, were several Scotland fans, wearing kilts.  Some young, some old, all drinking.  A few of them looked over at us, and as my eyes met theirs, a few raised their shot glasses as a toast.  I raised my water back across the restaurant and decided to go chat with them.

Kilt wearer-"So how's it going to end, mate?"
Me-"Let's say 2-1 USA!"
Kilt wearer-"2-1??? YOU"RE DREAMIN!!"

Someone was dreaming in that conversation.  Who exactly it was, will come up later...

We made our way to the stadium, snapping a few pics along the way.  It was quite a beautiful day.



I look really bloated.  Must be all the salt from the Mexican place.  Water retention.  Right?  Anyone?

You'll notice I was wearing what appears to be a shirt that Waldo from Where's Waldo would wear.  It's the new kit the US men wear, and it was going to be unveiled tonight.  Nothing quite like conformity among fans...

You'll also notice we snagged the front row.  We paid to get in the supporters section, which is general admission.  Get there early, and get the seat you want.  As things started warming up, I saw the local newspaper snapping pictures of us.  Here are a few.






As gametime got closer, things really filled in.  Lots of fans, 80% of them were American.  The national anthem happened, and, from what I was told, it was awful.  I really get annoyed when singers try to change the timing of the song.  The fans want to sing along and we can't do it if we don't know the timing.  Then we all look like a bunch of morons.  The good part though is that 1)I couldn't hear her and 2)I grabbed some more television time, as they focused on my group right at the end.  Please don't watch the whole video, unless you want to see a terrible anthem.  Click on 1:32 to see our moment of glory.


The game started.

Come on you Waldos!!

This is what the section looked like when it all filled in.  Pretty strong support.


The USA grabbed a quick goal in the 3rd minute.  Beer went flying.  We NEVER score this early.  Then, before we knew it, Michael Bradley (probably my favorite Yank) scorched a volley from distance into the top corner.  We erupted again.  Beer flew again.  Then one of our players put it into our own net and the half ended 2-1.  The Yanks had controlled the game and were unlucky not to be up by more.

Then the second half started.  We grabbed another goal.  Then another.  Then another.  We couldn't believe what we were seeing.  This is the USA playing, not the Dutch!  The game ended 5-1 and we were in paradise.  Here's some highlights if you're interested.



We staggered to the exit to catch the cab that we had booked for only 32 american dollars.  As they tried to find us, apparently there was a whole mess of people trying to hail a cab.  Fortunately, our drivers had integrity and honored the appointment.  They were great.  They picked us up, and took us to the airport.

We were hungry, ordered a pizza, and had it delivered to the airport.

Delicious local pizza from a place known as Pizza Hut...
We hoped to show that we had learned from our Kansas City debacle about how to properly sleep in an airport.  The worst part, without question, is the cold.  THEY KEEP THOSE AIRPORTS FREEZING!  So really, my only luggage this trip was a blanket.    This was the best choice I ever made.  Tim and I snagged some spare carpet slabs and dragged them over to a darker corner of the airport where we made our beds.  This was about 1:30 AM.

Getting set up for bed.....briefly
All snuggled in....briefly
I actually drifted off rather quickly, only to be awakened at about 2:30.  An airport employee woke us up, told us we needed to move, and that's where my memory stops.  I can't remember why we needed to move, but we stumbled and bumbled our way further into the terminal where there were padded benches right outside where the TSA scans your junk.

No hospitality like airport hospitality
 We settled into these benches and slept half decently until about 530 or so, when people started showing up.  We even saw a few Scotland fans in their kilts walking through.  My eyes met theirs on a few occasions; once, one said to me "Don't say anything" in their charming accent.  I smiled and retorted that all I wanted to say was "Good morning."  They were good sports.

Once the TSA opened, we stepped forward for our naked scan and patdown.  No problem.  I half enjoyed it.

I boarded my flight, slightly concerned about the smell emanating from me.  I have good hygiene, but this trip didn't allow me to be overly concerned about it.  I was concerned that I'd be mistaken for a boozing deadbeat that hadn't showered in a week.  Fortunately, I was sat next to someone with incredible BO, so I'm sure my smell was masked.

A few hours later, I was back home, where I rushed to shower, change my clothes, and head to church in time for Elders quorum.

Another end to a great trip supporting the Yanks.




1 comment:

Shirl and Bill said...

Don't know how many times I've checked your blog and nothing new..........so to my surprise this a m a little snap of your whirlwind weekend. Sounds so fun. Best of all the win.